Smaran Ravichandran Exclusive: 'My Goal is to Remain at the Top and Continue Piling on Runs'

Two prolific domestic seasons have transformed Smaran Ravichandran from a promising talent into one of Indian cricket's most exciting young batters. The 23-year-old Karnataka star, who played a pivotal role in his team's Vijay Hazare Trophy triumph, has been turning heads with his consistency across formats. In an exclusive conversation with TimesofIndia.com, Smaran opens up about his India dream, the India A snub that fueled his hunger, and the balancing act between cricket and education—something his mother never lets him forget.

The Rise of a Modern-Day Batter

Smaran’s journey has been nothing short of meteoric. After making his First-Class debut in 2021, he quickly established himself as a reliable top-order batter, known for his technique, temperament, and ability to adapt to different formats. His performances in the 2023-24 Vijay Hazare Trophy, where he amassed 500+ runs at an average of 62.50, including a match-winning century in the final, cemented his reputation as one of India’s brightest prospects.

“My goal is simple: to remain at the top and continue piling on runs. I don’t want to be a one-season wonder. Consistency is key, and I’m working hard every day to ensure I keep improving.”

— Smaran Ravichandran

India A Snub: A Blessing in Disguise?

Despite his domestic heroics, Smaran was overlooked for the India A squad earlier this year—a decision that left many cricket pundits surprised. However, the young batter sees it as a motivation to push harder.

“It was disappointing, no doubt. But I’ve always believed that rejections are just redirections. I used that as fuel to work even harder. The selectors’ job is to pick the best team, and mine is to keep scoring runs. If I do that, the opportunities will come.”

Mastering All-Format Cricket

One of Smaran’s biggest strengths is his versatility. Whether it’s anchoring an innings in First-Class cricket, accelerating in List A matches, or adapting to the demands of T20s, he has shown the ability to excel in all formats—a trait that modern-day Indian cricket values highly.

“I enjoy the challenge of different formats. In First-Class cricket, it’s about patience and building an innings. In T20s, you have to be quick but smart. The key is to adapt without losing your core game.”

Leadership and the Karnataka Captaincy

Beyond his batting, Smaran has also shown leadership qualities. He led Karnataka’s U-23 team and was part of the senior side’s think tank during the Vijay Hazare Trophy. With Karnataka’s cricketing future looking bright, could he be a future captain?

“I’ve always believed in leading by example. Whether it’s on-field decisions or mentoring younger players, I try to contribute in every way possible. Captaincy is a huge responsibility, and if given the opportunity, I’d embrace it.”

The Mother’s Reminder: Education Still Matters

While Smaran’s cricketing career is on an upward trajectory, his mother remains a constant reminder of the importance of education. Despite his busy schedule, he has managed to balance academics, completing his Bachelor’s degree in Commerce.

“My mother has always said, ‘Cricket is your passion, but education is your foundation.’ Even now, she checks if I’m keeping up with my studies. It’s a good reminder that life is bigger than just cricket.”

The Road Ahead: Chasing the India Dream

With the 2024-25 domestic season around the corner, Smaran is focused on maintaining his form and putting himself in contention for higher honors. The India A tours and IPL opportunities will be crucial stepping stones toward his ultimate goal—donning the Indian jersey.

“Every run I score is a step closer to my dream. I know the competition is fierce, but I’m ready to fight for my place. The journey has just begun.”

— Smaran Ravichandran

As Smaran continues to rise, one thing is clear: this is just the beginning. With his hunger, skill, and determination, the young Karnataka batter is well on his way to becoming a mainstay in Indian cricket.

Rajendar Bommidi

I am a seasoned Salesforce developer with an impressive 12-year tenure in the industry. My expertise lies in crafting innovative solutions within the Salesforce ecosystem. Over the years, I've honed my skills, bringing value to organizations by designing and implementing effective applications tailored to their needs. My passion for coding and problem-solving has fueled my journey, resulting in a wealth of hands-on experience and a deep understanding of the Salesforce platform's intricacies. With a track record of successful projects and a commitment to staying current with industry trends, I continue to thrive as a reliable and dedicated professional in the field.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post